Sunday, July 17, 2011

At least I was prepared for something...

Free day in Arequipa
So when I last wrote it was the day before we were to head to the Colca Canyon.  This would mean going to heights of above 5000m above sea level, where it was almost certain we would get altitude sickness.  Our tour guide warned us that we should avoid alcohol the night before and avoid being hungover.

Unfortunately, this warning was delivered after Alice and I and the rest of our tour group had polished off the best part of a bottle of vodka during our ´free day´ in Arequipa.  We did this with the help of a trusty Starbucks, who were willing to provide us with some free cups!


Fortunately for me, although I did absolutely no preparation for the trekking, what I did prepare for was alcohol comsunmption and hangovers.  So I actually came through relatively unscathed, and was even up to catch a picture of sunrise over Arequipa the next morning.



We boarded a bus to head to the Colca Valley.  On the way we drive through a nature reserve filled with llama´s and my new favourite animal, the alpaca.





I had alpaca steak for the first time a few nights ago, and it is one of the most DELICIOUS beasts I have eaten, up there with the cow.  Look how tasty they look -


Yum yum yum yum.  I plan on eating mainly this animal for the rest of my time in Peru.

Na na na na na na na BATMAN
We arrive in Chivay in the Colca Valley.

It turns out Hollywood may already be onto our idea to have tuk tuks in films.  Looks like the studios are already trialing a Tuk Tuk Batmobile for the next batman movie!


We head off for a walk around the city.  These two statues are doing a dance of love, so I decide to join in, the world can never have too much love.


I also tackle my first hike.  At about 45 minutes in duration, and going up maybe 100 metres, I feel I performed admirably!  Definitely ready to take on the Inca Trail!




On the eigth day, God was bored
After this trek we head to some hot springs.  These things are basically God´s little joke on the world after he had seen that everything was good...  ¨Sure¨, he said, ¨there is a freezing climate and you will really welcome this warm watery retreat.  But, I am going to make it smell like a wet fart.¨


(It was dark when I took the photo... but you get the idea...)

Eventually you get used to the smell of the sulphur and can just enjoy the warmth of the springs.  The water in the pools is about 38-40 degrees celsius.  Very welcome after the strenuous 45 minute trek.

The next day we head into the Colca Canyon to see the Andean Condor.  The canyon is massive, at its deepest point I think they said it is four kilometres deep.



We managed to see about 20 condors, which were amazing.  Unfortunately my camera was useless at capturing them (sure... blame the camera!), so we will have to wait on the outcome of Alice´s $1,600 camera for that.

We spent one night in Chivay before heading back to Arequipa, one more night there, and then we headed to Cuzco for two nights.  Yesterday we had a ´free day´in Cuzco.  Which means that we are supposed to take ourselves to the various museums around the city and become knowledgeable.  I think our tour guide, however, is realising that leaving 4 Australians and 1 Brit to have a free afternoon, just results in us drifting to the nearest pub and drinking.

Haven´t taken many photos of Cuzco. Here is a photo of me standing next to a large brick which is apparently both interesting and important...


We did notice that it appears on the bottle of the local beer Cusquena while we were not visiting the museums!

Anyhoo, that is about all I have time for.  There are loads more photos of the last few days, but I am using the hostel computer and there are people waiting now.

Today we head to the Sacred Valley, and tomorrow the trek begins!!!  Wish me luck - I will certainly need it!

Adios amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment